Thursday, 28 July 2011

28/7/11

Awfully quiet here right now in my college. The corridor is not exactly deserted, but still ... unnaturally few students around.

Listened to my mates' impromptu speeches this morning. I think I might enjoy speaking impromptu tomorrow when my turn comes. It's challenging because each speaker is given only a minute to draft a speech based on a randomly chosen title, but if done right it can be enjoyable. With my wild imaginations, I suppose I'll have fun tomorrow ... unless nervousness and time limit beat me.

The whole area above my college has been flooded with foreign and local workers since last week. Employers are trying really hard to register their workers here at the immigration department before July ends. The effects brought upon by hundreds of these workers? Let me list some:
  • Garbage like cigarette butts, empty bottles and plastics strewn everywhere. Drains, sidewalks, stair steps - you name it.
  • Large crowds (standing, sleeping or squatting) that obstruct entrance and exits of nearby premises.
  • Dirty, smelly air, mainly because of so much smoking.
Restaurants and convenience stores actually benefit this time around. Every day you can see people thronging these shops. 

I have nothing against these workers, to be just. They contribute a lot and deserve to be treated fairly. It's just that I think a more systemic approach needs to be taken.

Oh yeah, I had a haircut recently. I was told that with my hair shorn so short, I look unfamiliar. 

O hair, please grow back faster!

© Lumière
Maira Gall