I've read Jane Eyre a few years back, when I was bored and decided to give the classics a go. At that time, I felt the novel was very lengthy and long-winded, but I loved the old language used therein.
This morning I watched the movie version of Jane Eyre directed by Cary Fukunaga. The movie opens with Jane running away. Already makes you curious, doesn't it? As I watched, I realised that this version is told in flashbacks. Fortunately I still remember the plot, so it was pretty easy to follow.
The poetic language sometimes bored me; at other times it amused me to see the characters play with words and beat around the bush to deliver a point. Most of all, I love the scenery. Woods, meadows, hills, streams - absolutely refreshing.
For me, the most well-played characters would be Mrs. Fairfax (the housekeeper) and of course, Jane Eyre (the governess). Very original, different from the book.
However, I find the ending a little too abrupt. It goes like this:
Mr Rochester: A dream?
Jane Eyre: Awaken then.
Mr Rochester is Jane Eyre's beloved, haha. After these lines, the credits started to roll. Too quick.
All in all, a slow movie. If you want something quiet, poignant and romantic, then go for this.
By the way, something new I've learnt: 'Eyre' is pronounced like 'air'. :D
