When you strike at a king, you must kill him. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
#1
This morning we assessed our personality types. We did an inventory and were then separated into five large groups. It felt like a Sorting in Harry Potter world, without the hat and stool, of course. After that we were further split into mini-groups and were given mahjong papers to draw our dream university.
Fifteen minutes later we submitted our drawings and presented group-by-group. Our lecturer then explained to us each personality type and listed the strengths, weaknesses, typical habits as well as behaviours of each personality. He further pointed out our traits by examining our drawings.
My group mates and I scored pretty high on openness. What that means is we like to be different and explore new things. We love to come up with fresh ways of doing things, but we care more about aesthetics than function. Convention stifles us, or rather, our creativity. Responsibility and teamwork is not our cup of tea. Having said all that, hey, here's the catch: this "openness" is merely our method of thinking. Therefore we need to look to our second-highest score to know our personality. Further, we can develop other personality traits over time, so it's a fluid thing, you see.
What our lecturer told us was quite illuminating. I myself was struck by the accuracy of this personality test, which was developed by a local professor.When I saw my friends in different groups, I couldn't help but inwardly whisper "oh" and "now I know why we behave in this way and that".
#2
For our Mass Comm. tutorial today, we watched a movie called "Soul Surfer". The name was very familiar, but I haven't watched it before.
Sitting in the dark with my mates and watching a drama film was a first for me. Some of my friends even provided extra sound-effects, if you get what I mean - the oohs, the ahhs and other small shrieks. My mind, however, was thinking about something entirely different. I kept glancing at the time display, preparing to leave ten minutes before noon whether or not the movie reached the end.
I actually like the movie, but before the climax I left the classroom. Totally unlike me, I know. There was a matter more pressing than watching movies, though.
#3
Let's just call the matter "The Problem".
The Problem has existed for quite some time, but most of us students merely complained or groaned about it. I took a step further by drawing up some suggestions to solve or at least lessen the impact of The Problem, then I fired off those suggestions to the head of my department.
Lo and behold, certain improvements can already be seen. I was happy for it, and I vowed never to tell any of my mates about it (just being humble, there). About the same time, the head of my department kindly asked me to attend a meeting and discuss about the matter I outlined in the e-mail I sent him.
Around noon today, I presented myself at the office belonging to the head. Also present was a small band of lecturers and administrative staff who have looked into the matter. I was positively awed.
The head facilitated the meeting and didn't speak much. A representative from the admin staff introduced herself and gave her job description. One of the lecturers did most of the talking, while the other looked as though she wanted to be anywhere but there.
Me? I sat with my bag in my lap and my hands clasped loosely, trying to appear comfortable. I listened to what the lecturer had to say. Some of my suggestions were legitimate and valid, she observed, and I appear to have the potential (to do what she did not specify). The head of department was happy when he received my e-mail. The lecturers and the admin staff would like to have more communications of this sort from the students, since we are all in the same boat. However, I should refer to the correct person when I have any concerns to raise or doubts. There is already a system of communication in place that I can always use. The lecturer was not trying to be intimidating and they were not trying to give me any trauma, but it would be better if we solve problems of this sort in a mature and efficient way.
I could see at once what the lecturer was driving at. In summary it's something along the lines of "while we appreciate your effort, we would prefer you to go through proper channels of communication to increase efficiency". Anyhow I listened attentively, smiling and nodding my assent. I would be seeing the lecturers again, so I took care to suspend any judgment and keep myself under control.
I acknowledge the fact that I was rather impulsive when I wrote that e-mail (in deference to the lecturer's comment on maturity). I simply drew up the suggestions and contacted the first person I could think of (the head of department). Obviously in my haste to get the message through I overlooked the system, but now I see that I should adhere to this system.
In the end they praised me adequately and thanked me profusely. They would inform the student body (What?! Student Council knew nothing of this?) The head told me to enjoy my weekend, to which I replied "you too". Awkwardly I left the room. I was sure that they had things to talk about me. All I ever could think of was fleeing. Away from them, away from everything associated with them. I know my contribution was helpful. I know I should be proud, but why does it feel so bittersweet?
#4
Fleeing the scene was easy, but altering my perspective and feelings wasn't. I popped on the earbuds and played some Korean songs, just to provide some background music for my thoughts. I honestly don't quite know how to describe or label what was going through inside me. I did a good thing, but it felt as though I committed a serious crime.
As planned, before I went home I visited a stationery shop to print my research literature and lecture notes. There was a problem with printing an article - a few pages came out blank from the machine. After trying a few times, I gave up for good and paid the expense.
My mind was still on the meeting and my heart was filled with strange feelings. I bought and drank a can of Coca-Cola. At least, Coca-Cola is a constant that I can hold on to in this impermanent flux of happenings.