Thursday, 21 March 2013

Basta!

[ Not in order. ]

I was so pissed off. I am still angry.

Have you turned in our assignment to the plagiarism checker?

My reflection is okay, right? No problem?

I took the steps two at a time. The tempo went, one-two-three-four, one-two. A sad tune arranged itself and came to my mind.

She called out my name. My full name. I turned, and saw my old primary classmate. What a coincidence! 

You look different today. Is it because of the watch?
Yeah. Today only.

It was too much to bear. I slipped quietly out of the room and descended a few floors to the library. The place was nearly empty, and it felt almost like home. 

Type 2 personality can be summarised in one word: giver. People with this personality type usually give and give and give, because they have so much love and kindness and goodness in them. They put others' need before their own, so much so that they don't know how to treat themselves right.

Sorry for running away so suddenly and leaving you like that.
Huh? When?
Just now at the library.
Oh.

One was playing music straight out of his laptop. Another was singing along, not too softly. Two were playing a brain teaser. One was watching some Korean variety show, laughing softly through his nose. By the sound of it, still another was watching something dance-related on his phone. Two were chatting.

I met a former course mate. He was still his same old self, sharp eyes, sweet tongue and all. 

So, how are you really? I'm asking, as a friend.
Feeling better after talking to you. Still angry though.
I feel you, really. Such injustice. So unfair. You've been too good a person already. They just take advantage of you. You know that?
She has her strengths and weaknesses. She can be good, though -
Enough. As much as you want to see good in others, other people might not be truly good.
True, true.

I've been trying to get more of "me-time" this week. Like, not getting into class too early. Indulging myself in things I love.

There were worse things you did. You apologise for that ... small potato?

I've known you for a year and a half. You've been having the same hairstyle.

No, it isn't funny to joke about my gender using logistic regression. Nor is it intelligent. 

I think I should spend less time with the group of friends I have right now. It's like I've been too into the group and lost my own identity. What I want? What I need? What I love? 

He came back!

What's wrong with you? So blur so many times today?

Then I saw it. In that instant it was all crystal clear. I need to pull myself out of this abyss, this vicious cycle. People keep expecting help from me because I give it too freely. Too cheaply. In a sense, they bully me into it. Take advantage. Exploit.

 [ basta : Italian for "enough", derived from bastare ("to be enough") ] 
© Lumière
Maira Gall