Friday, 17 May 2013

17/5/13

We had quite a lively discussion/debate this morning during our Human Personality class. It was based on this rather famous personality test/instrument called the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. The whole session was facilitated by our tutor because for some reason our lecturer was unable to make it today. Basically we were shown short descriptions and had to choose which more closely resembled our personality. Based on our choice on four either/or dichotomies, we were then asked to sit either at the left side or right side of the room.

Especially of interest to me was how our course mates debated the introversion/extroversion issue. We had a surprisingly large number of introverts, compared to the small two dozen of extroverts. At our tutor's encouragement, we tried to come up with the "other team"'s strengths and weaknesses. A few extroverted guys kept bashing the introverted ones, using terms that became more and more unsavoury. It seemed that the extroverts had had their way, until someone from among the introverts fired back this quote: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. The effect was immediate: those very verbal extroverts who had nothing nice to say about the introverts shut up and some introverts clapped with smiles on their faces.

It didn't end there, of course. During my self-imposed washroom break, I overheard one guy telling another (with some uncreative swear words added in) that he was "pissed off by introverts ... quiet, shy, expect others to know what they want ...". I recognised that voice as one of the many hi-bye friends of mine. Now I know his real attitude. I really shouldn't judge people by their looks.
 
People in general do favour extroverted persons, which is understandable, given that most extroverts display vitality, vigour, cheerfulness etc. Who wouldn't like being around these extroverts? Introverts suffer as other people generally associate them with traits like "quiet", "shy" or "withdrawn" and subsequently, discriminate against them. I think this simplistic way of distinguishing extroverts from introverts undermines both peoples' unique characteristics and diversity. Those who still use this dichotomy should not restrict themselves with this one difference in personality; instead they should look for other aspects as well as remind themselves what such labels carry. Introverts draw energy from within themselves, whereas extroverts gain their energy mainly from interacting with other people. That's the key point; others are open to debate. 

Slamming someone due to their degree of introversion or extroversion is childish and uncritical. Realistically, you can't have the whole world full of extroverts only, or a whole world of introverts only. Extroverts and introverts need to work with each other because they often complement one another. We should work towards reconciling these two categories of people, making them understand and accept their differences while still maintaining their own personalities. Further, the introversion/extroversion categories are mere shorthands that we use and do not reflect a person entirely. A person has some degree of introversion and some degree of extroversion. We say a person is introverted because the person leans more towards introversion and has qualities typically associated with it. That doesn't mean that the person is not extroverted at all. Although it might be challenging, an introverted person can still acquire extroverts' characteristics like talkativeness, outgoing, spontaneity and such (of course no one changes from an introvert to extrovert overnight!)

Moving on from personality, today we had three classes, from 8am to 6pm, with a four-hour break in between, so I accompanied some friends to our uni's first Christian Fellowship meeting of the semester (even though I am not a Christian). We watched a movie entitled Bella and had pizzas (my favourite Domino's). There was an awkward moment for me when the person in charge led us all in saying grace before our meal. I bowed my head and closed my eyes, but then snapped them open again and stared at the ground. Not sure what I should do. I hope nobody noticed that! I enjoyed the session, though.

Around 2pm I gathered enough courage to check my provisional results for last semester's subjects (released earlier than promised on this morning). Oh how I toiled for each of the five subjects! The results are provisional, in the sense that they haven't been approved by our Senate (some sort of body consisting of leaders higher up the hierarchy in our uni). There might be changes three working days later, but at the moment I secured A- for Advanced Quantitative Methods, Biopsychology as well as Introduction to Coaching and Mentoring. I got B+ for Social Psychology (expected - the lecturer demanded too much from us) and Counselling Skills (not really unexpected). I told myself I would settle for B+ for all subjects, since there were so many factors that blocked my way towards getting an A- or A. I really am happy because my efforts paid off quite handsomely. 

Six gruelling weeks to go since this is a short semester. Five assignments and one presentation - due dates are coming really soon. I've learned my lessons from past semesters, so I've already started doing something regarding the assessments rather than chilling out during the first week. Having gone through the hellishly arduous time that was last semester, I hope those experiences will guide me through this one and a half months. I have yet to see which is more difficult: a short semester with three subjects or a long semester with five subjects. I hope it's the latter. 

© Lumière
Maira Gall