Friday, 2 May 2014

V

This blog turns five today! Gosh, it has been five years since I started this blog, I'd had others but they didn't last as long as this one does.

This blog has evolved, and so have I. I used to play around with HTML, fonts, colours and background images. It was common for me to change the blog template every week, or every time I blogged about something. Nowadays I don't change it quite often. For the past year or so, I've stayed with plain white background and minimalist design. Maybe it's an indication that my colourful, vibrant and carefree days are over, and it's time to declutter my life and go simple (woah, #deep).

The way I write has also changed. In the past, I used semi-sentences and single words, writing as if I was dreaming out loud. Now I tend to write in a more academic fashion. Yet my attention to details, grammar and punctuation have never been compromised since the very first post. I've always made a point to verify whether the things I write are true. If I'm not sure about grammar, I consult grammar-related websites and forums. 

I used to be able to find humour in almost every thing I experienced, hence the funny, sarcastic posts back in high school and college. That sass, oh my goodness. And the staggering amount of exclamation mark I used. These days my posts tend to take on a more negative tone/mood, even though in real life, most of the time I feel fine and things are just ordinary.

I used to observe certain rules and algorithms. Topics concerning sex, religion and politics were zealously avoided, for some reason I can't quite recall. Posts could be in either English or Chinese, depending on which language could best capture the "feel" of my narration. Pictures, videos and other people's writings were sparingly posted, when I ran out of things to write about or felt that other media could better express my thoughts and feelings. Now, I've waded into law and politics and a bit of religion, because they are the inevitable result of my "righteous anger". I felt so strongly about certain events that I had to blog about it. I use more English than Chinese these days, compared to last time when I made sure I had a balance of posts written in either language. Lately I haven't got the time to write at length about my life's happenings, so the posts in the recent past were either somebody else's work or my own reviews about the movies/drama I watched. Honestly I dare not write so much about what's going on because there has been an immense web traffic to my blog but only few comments were left. Anonymous visitors, identify yourselves!

Most of my friends' and seniors' blogs are abandoned, locked or deleted. Why don't they continue blogging? Well, I can only guess. Life caught up with them. They have better things to do than rant publicly (maybe). Or maybe they've moved to other social media platforms. Or maybe they don't find blogging rewarding anymore, especially for those with dwindling visitor count. I'm not sure which direction I want to go. I don't even know how much longer I'll be running this blog. I've been thinking of closing it down since about three years ago, but still I can't bring myself to do it. Let's see how it goes. For now ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY DEAR BLOG!!!

(bringing the colour and exclamation mark back, you see ...)

© Lumière
Maira Gall