Monday, 6 October 2014

Some Reviews

Note: Currently I'm swamped with various assignments, the biggest being writing my thesis. I have just completed a first draft of a minor (to me, at least) assignment, and since it's a long weekend due to Hari Raya Aidiladha (but a working holiday for me T.T), I thought I'd take a break from academic writings by giving some reviews on the films and dramas I have watched earlier. The selection of works below is biased in the sense that I haven't included everything I have watched (cue: lousy ones excluded), so you can see it as my list of recommendations. 

Empress Ki: What I remember the most from this Korean historical drama are the main characters' facial expressions. From the sharp, penetrating gaze of Empress Ki to Wang-yu's furrowed brows to Ta-hwan's smiles - the actors have really put in their best into making the characters convincing. The script isn't too bad either, what with several plot and sub-plots running simultaneously then converging nicely. The drama has a certain depth to it, where the scriptwriters perfectly captured what it was like to survive in politically and socially turbulent times. It wasn't just I-outsmart-you and you-beat-me-back, or good/bad people are always good/bad. The plots and counter-plots were analysed from multiple angles: physical, mental, psychological and social variables were considered. Recommended for long holidays when you don't mind taking on history and pseudo-history.

It's OK, It's Love: This was the first Korean drama with a psychology/psychiatry theme that I have come across. It was backed up with mostly relevant research and practice in the field of psychiatry (I actually know all of the psychological jargons they threw in), save for the "truth serum" which I think would be more at home in Harry Potter's world. Anyway, I like it that the scriptwriter chose to explore unconventional love stories. The main leads took a measured and rational approach to love and at the same time, they tried to confront their psychological disorders. The middle part of the drama was bogged down by boring details and frankly, I was ready to give up on the drama. The pace suddenly picked up again and things got more intense until the touching denouement appeared. I think the second-last episode would have made a perfect ending to the drama, but of course, knowing the mainstream audience love to see all loose ends tied up, the last episode did exactly that. Recommended for days when the weather (or life) is so bad that you feel like doing nothing but curling up with something cosy to watch.

Ilo Ilo: Who could've known that a housekeeper would turn a boy's life around? This Singapore-made film narrates the story of a typical middle-income Asian Chinese family trying to stay afloat financially in times of economic hardship. I like that the director/scriptwriter left little clues here and there. Rather than explaining everything sequentially, he cleverly used the clues to intrigue the audience and keep them watching to find out the clues finally fit together. The cinematography was superb as well - I was somehow reminded of French and American indie films. For instance, some scenes were captured without any human conversation but still could invoke meaning and evoke emotions in the audience. The ending was done with a nice touch: a microcosm of life, a perfect contrast of emotions and a very apt song (Kahapon at Pag-ibig by ASIN). Recommended for rainy days or whenever you feel a bit nostalgic.

About Time: This romantic-comedy/drama started off with a young man learning about his inherited abilities to travel back in time. Although time-travelling was the backbone of the story, the film didn't dwell too much on it and focused instead on love (both romantic and familial). Is there such a thing as love at first sight? Are you looking for your other half, the destined one? Or maybe love happens by chance? What I like about this film is its unpretentiousness and lessons, its more down-to-earth take on love. I literally had a wide grin when I heard the familiar strains of "How Long Will I Love You". The film painted life in both its ugliness and beauty, besides going beyond the typical "happily ever after" ending to depict marriage and family. Actions have consequences, the film tells us, and sometimes in spite of making the best decision, life has a way of forcing things upon us. Recommended to watch during family get-together and a re-watch on your own when you can laugh and cry again, all you want.

The Lunchbox: The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, and the way to his mind? Through old-fashioned, handwritten correspondence! The film has given almost no clue as to when the story is set - no Internet, no WiFi, no mobile phones - which makes it rather timeless. Another way of seeing it is that the Indian community which it represents has slow technological advances and technology is a privilege unavailable to many in India. The film lightly touched upon a few social issues but its main selling point is, I think, serendipity. Through a fortunate mistake in the lunchbox delivery system, Ila and Saajan got to know each other and corresponded through letters. Ila wrote of her suspicions about her husband's infidelity, while Saajan imparted advices like a wise old man. Although they have yet to meet one another, they know enough about each other to care for the other party. Do look out for the little stories that dotted the film: they're entire worlds themselves. The film ended with a cliffhanger - will Ila and Saajan finally meet?  Depends on serendipity. Recommended for those who would love to take a break from their usual staple of films and dramas.

How to Train Your Dragon 2: If you like the first one, this sequel is a must-watch. Not only it expanded on the world of dragons introduced earlier, it also broke more stereotypes (which seems to be a habit of Pixar). Who says a mother couldn't be adventurous? Who says only a mother would die for her young? Who says size matters? The stunning landscapes, fitting music score and heartfelt dialogues would surely make you yearn for more. Hopefully, the coming third installment will outdo its predecessors.

Twelve Years A Slave: The film is based on a first-hand account of real-life slavery experiences in the 19th century. Vivid and explicit depictions of inhumane treatment, as well as deep psychological trauma that such experiences cut into the soul, were scattered throughout the film. If anything, this film serves as a reminder of the unimaginable horrors that humans can - and still do - inflict on one another. The loss of privacy, identity, freedom, family and above all, life were endured by the enslaved characters in the film. Humans treated as properties, machines and playthings - can you wrap your head around that? Although slavery has been outlawed in most countries, human trafficking is still a very real and pervasive issue. What are you going to do about it?

Belle: In the olden days, if a woman aspired to "rise above her station", she would be advised to marry into a good family (preferably rich and high-status) with a hefty dowry. Otherwise, she might have to live out her days being an "old spinster" or "that weird unmarried aunt". True love was impractical and rare. Such were the issues faced by Dido, a mixed-race, illegitimate child who was entrusted to the care of Lord William Murray. Inspired by a painting and centred on slavery, this film complements "Twelve Years A Slave" rather well and presents the other end of slavery (the lawmakers' perspective). I quite like the clever use of the phrase "let justice be done though the heavens fall". If you like period drama, this is a downright sumptuous visual feast for you. The only complaint I could find was the rather out-of-place kiss at the end of the film, which I think is an unnecessary imposition of modern values on people from another era.

© Lumière
Maira Gall