Wednesday, 18 May 2011

One Hour

This morning I woke up damn early (my only class today starts from 1430hrs) just to catch the train. As I was buying my ticket from the booth, a train pulled up opposite from where I stood. OMG!

I broke into one hell of a run immediately after I received my ticket. I raced up the stairs of the pedestrian bridge and charged down towards that bloody train, knowing that I had about a minute or so before the doors would close. 

Too bad for me, the doors DID close when I reached the platform. I sat down defeatedly on one of those orange plastic seats, a familiar old man sitting a few chairs away from me. He was the noisiest passenger here; the other day he 'accosted' some random guy and talked to that poor man about politics, scholarships, millionaires and religions.

Three minutes barely passed when another train trundle into sight. I moved away from the women-only coaches and entered the first coach that wasn't full of people blocking the entrance/exit. Cold air blasted all around me and it was very welcoming, even though I had to stand with a hand gripping tightly around a metal pole. 

These people could use some entertainment, I thought. Dreadfully boring in here. In my mind I was choreographing some pole dance moves. Just saying... I wouldn't do stupid things in a train full of sleepy people; they won't need that sort of rude wake-up call anyway. 

At the third stop there were quite a few empty seats available, so I sat down after seeing that those standing preferred to continue standing. 

I hopped off the train at the central station, along with others who pushed me forward. The whole place wasn't very busy and I was able to buy my ticket very quickly.

Believe it or not, the moment I stepped up to the correct platform, my next train came and the doors opened. I never broke my stride and got into the train successfully. 

I got off at the next station and threaded my way through the confusing labyrinth of people. To my surprise yet again, four empty buses awaited me. The other passengers were waiting for the driver to appear, so I paced around absently for a while. 

About six minutes later, the driver got on on of the buses and revved up the engine. We the passengers paid the fare and sat comfortably waiting. My window seat afforded me a full view of the city's crazy traffic. The sun shone through the clear pane of glass and warmed my cheeks. Inwardly I smiled, thinking of my supposedly good luck this morning. It wasn't luck at all, but simply the perfect timing coming from the public transports.

Exactly twenty minutes later, I reached my college's 'back door'. I checked my time and realised that this journey cost me only one hour

I feel invigorated, having started off my day pretty well. In situations like this, you just can't help but laugh at your 'luck'.
© Lumière
Maira Gall