Sunday, 6 May 2012

By the Roadside

I thought I left you with a decent goodbye at the crossroads.
Saw you again last night, 
though this time around 
I was less than sure that it was you.

Should, by some divine intervention,
you stumble upon this piece,
know that you're still in my prayers.
I'm glad to report that I have found peace.
I still think about you, sometimes,
though not as fervently or religiously so.
Our bittersweet past I replay on some days,
but most days I can function normally
without you popping by my mental attic.

I offer my apologies for brushing past you.
Your gaze was laser-like as always.
I ignored it and walked on, as usual. 
Another beautiful night it was;
I have come to love these nights.

I pray that you are in good health
and that you have moved on without me.
Celine Dion would sing that her heart "will go on",
but I hope that both of us will just
skip the melodrama and carry on. 

Forget about those sad love songs.
Some day we shall sit in a nondescript coffeehouse 
with your kids and mine bouncing on our knees.
We'll talk about our past, we'll laugh and 
we'll drink to our kids' health and future.

Until then, farewell.
Peace out. :p

p.s. If you missed the supermoon last night (I did), you can catch it tonight.

© Lumière
Maira Gall