Friday, 26 October 2012

Went Bananas!

I had a mid-term exam yesterday morning, but before sitting for it I went to look for the last few participants for my quantitative research. It was crazy to do so! I know, but if I didn't secure the remaining participants, then I don't think I'll ever look for them. 

When I finally got it all done, I felt relieved before the nervousness kicked in as I rushed to the exam hall. I was breathless from all the quick-paced walking and short distance running. Plus I was sick (still am, but now progressively better). Apparently the invigilators decided to let us in about five minutes before eight, instead of the usual ten to fifteen minutes. No harm done (I thought I would be late).

We were given sixty multiple choice questions. Piece of cake, most would say and yes, most of my fellow candidates breezed through the questions and left the hall early. I finished it easily but stayed until the very end. Some strange habit of mine, which was shared by one other friend. I think our invigilator was damned pissed at us, or outright mad with fury. I tried not to make eye contact with her, in case she mistook that for a signal that says "I want to leave". She might've been staring daggers at us for all I know.

Well, well, who set the time "8.00-9.30 a.m."? :P

Pic credit: On Zhi Xiang
After the exam, my friends decided to have a trip to Bangsar to settle some business and have some time-out. I tagged along, since I didn't have any class until about two hours later. 

We boarded a bus and had a mightily crazy time. Some of us never took bus before and acted like they'd just entered a spaceship or something (I could only stare, mouth agape, at them). We took group photos to "commemorate" the occasion.

Pic credit: Vivien Wong
We reached Bangsar about 10.40 a.m. There were thirteen of us, so when we walked around and explored the streets of Bangsar, we looked like tourists. We passed by cafés, boutiques and restaurants, all of which are high-end establishments. Many of them were not open (was it too early?). 

It was difficult to decide on where to eat, even after we agreed on a budget. At last somebody dragged the rest of us into an Indian cuisine restaurant. South Indian, I guessed. Fragrant, delicious rice served on pieces of banana leaves. No bread. Sour, appetising soup. Thin slices of bitter gourd fried to a deep red. Cucumber salad. Spinach. Crunchy papadom. My first banana leaf rice - it was so unbelievably good that I helped my friends to finish part of theirs. They didn't seem too enthusiastic to know that those "red thingy" were actually bitter gourd slices. How can you NOT love bitter gourd?

Pic credit: Michelle Yong
After our vegetarian meal we went to an art supplies shop. Some friends were looking for stationery, while the rest of us walked 'round and 'round the aisles, admiring things but really buying nothing. 

Around noon, we missed the bus. It didn't stop, even when two among us waved like mad at it. We waited under some trees but it was still scorching hot. Sweating like waterfalls we were. 

The trip back to uni was much more peaceful and quiet, though we still talked as loud. We didn't really want to attend the Anthropology tutorial, but we did anyway. As usual we were separated into small groups to discuss and later present solutions to short-answer questions. I was picked by the lecturer to present. Oh well, bring it on. My group mates found the answers and I presented first, extemporising. Through the microphone I babbled incoherently. My words sounded incomprehensible, even to my ears. 

During another tutorial later in the afternoon, we talked about two inhumane treatments for patients suffering from mental illnesses. Had group discussions again and I presented once more (this time with some help from my mates). When we were given a situational exercise to work on, I even offered some views of my own on the use of new prescriptive drugs. More coherent this time, I think.

Can't believe I behaved quite normally even while being under the weather yesterday, except when I talked or presented. I'm grateful to have been able to be around with friends, experiencing things and making memories. 

© Lumière
Maira Gall