Saturday, 12 January 2013

Avalanche

Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air
I know I can count on you
Sometimes I feel like saying "Lord I just don't care"
but you've got the love I need to see me through
– "You've Got the Love" covered by Florence and the Machine 

Quietly I wept when my lecturer for Understanding Child Abuse and Neglect class showed us a video on Mary Ellen Wilson. Part of me knew that the sounds and pictures were purposefully chosen to elicit sympathy, part of me was just overwhelmed by the whole case surrounding the child abuse victim. The dam just broke.

The first Understanding and Managing Emotions lecture was attended by over 120 students. Jam packed, mainly because of the lecturer is well-loved by students in general. The subject itself is intriguing, I must say. Who knows emotions can be dissected in such a way?

Counselling Skills is a skills-based elective subject, unlike the previous two. We were given opportunities to role-play a few scenarios to get a hang of counselling is like. Introduction to Coaching and Mentoring is a similar subject because it shares the same theories, rules and guidelines as counselling, but the intended outcome of any coaching or mentoring session, we were told, is different from that of counselling's. 

So, I've been shopping around for electives this week. I'm planning to take Counselling Skills and Introduction to Coaching and Mentoring because I'm interested. At the same time, I'm quite apprehensive of my choice because it's not something I normally opt for. Ah, over-thinking!

Those aside, assignments for core subjects are already piling up. Two group experiments to be designed, conducted and reported. No easy feat. Three class tests on Biopsychology to be prepared for. More cramming on human biology and psychological processes. My planner is quickly filling up with deadlines ...

Avalanche, basically.
© Lumière
Maira Gall