Monday, 21 January 2013

Unscripted

The second week of the term (i.e. last week) was just as overwhelming as the first. I've officially signed up for five subjects. Mad, not to mention suicidal. Our first year result statement was released, CGPA included. Suffice it to say, I have to work much, much harder to push it up a few notches. Yeah, I am that greedy.

This morning, my group mates and I presented a journal article. We'd summarised the whole paper, created presentation slides and rehearsed individually (I did mental rehearsals). Now we needed only to present it in front of our lecturer and course mates.

Our group decided to be formally attired, so my friends were pleasantly surprised to see me in long-sleeved shirt, slacks and a necktie. Felt good to receive positive comments from them. I think it was the necktie that made all the difference because it was the first time I put it on for a classroom presentation. In previous presentations (over a year ago) I would just roll up my sleeves and leave my collar unbuttoned.

Everything went rather smoothly until it was my turn to lead a discussion about the material we'd covered. I managed to make part of the audience laugh, but disappointingly, I wasn't quick enough to field questions from them. Some of my group mates took over to answer those questions. Spontaneity isn't my thing, so I think I have to work on that.

After the presentation, a couple of friends congratulated me, saying I did quite well. Did I? I felt quite bad for not contributing much to the presentation, other than amusing some course mates and critiquing the journal article.

While getting feedback from our lecturer after class, she noted that in general our group did splendidly, but we weren't good enough in interacting with the audience during discussion. I agreed. Perhaps we should build rapport with the audience before the presentation. Perhaps we should ask more general questions that people can relate to. Perhaps we should help the audience recall the points (e.g. "Remember we talked about ...").

Anyway I'm relieved that we've completed our presentation. I never knew I had it in me to be a clown! :P

Work on it! Challenge convention! Pic credits: http://www.businessinsider.com/mac-makeup-ad-stars-female-bodybuilder-2013-1
© Lumière
Maira Gall