Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Bathroom Makeover

The planning involved in giving our common bathroom a makeover was but a short and simple one. All I had to do was to find a storage solution to re-organise the various odds and ends. Prior to that, I had thoroughly scrubbed clean the tiled walls and floors, as well as washed the plastic racks that contained bottles of detergents. I had also consulted with my family members regarding shampoo, face wash, hair conditioner etc, so that I could estimate how many baskets to buy from IKEA, to replace the current rusty three-tiered rack.

It was a mad dash yesterday as it was a public holiday (again) - I resolved to go in and out quick to avoid the crowd and traffic. The shopping list I'd drawn up proved to be useful as I managed to get the things I wanted from the correct sections. Only the metal shelf gave me trouble. I literally went down all the aisles just to hunt for it, only to find it in the last aisle close to the counter.

Thoughts that occurred to me while I was assembling the items I bought from IKEA:
  • What I envisioned to be a perfectly good solution might not be so in someone else's eyes. I opted for a metal shelving unit to be placed outside our bathroom, because it fits the available space there, provides easy access to things placed on it and won't suffer too much from the elements (sunlight and humidity). Aesthetics-wise, probably it could be a sore to the eye but that can be remedied by storing items in boxes/baskets instead of just putting things on it. Mum thought I was going to get a cabinet with doors. 
  • Same thing with the shoe rack versus shoe cabinet issue. Seems like mum wants to hide things away and pretend they aren't there until we need them.
  • Stick-on floor protectors came in handy! I just couldn't make the legs of the shelf stand equally on the floor, so I added height to one of the legs by attaching floor protectors to it. Wobbly no more!
  • I've made so many trips to IKEA lately that I could recognise its plant pot and artificial greens in a Muji outlet I visited yesterday.
  • Speaking of Muji, I'm quite impressed at their range of products (even more impressed at the price). Simple, minimalist, clean designs to complement functionality. 
Anyway, this is just a quick update on what I've been up to lately. I'll try to write about something else in the next post. Keyword: try. Haha.
 
© Lumière
Maira Gall