(From previous. See Part One.)
HAD a steaming cup of hot chocolate just before noon. With whipped cream, this time. Pleasure #2. A barista asked for my name and chatted with me in a friendly, offhanded manner. Lighted up my day instantly. Pleasure #3.
Went to get some napkins from my barista. He asked, "How's your drink?" I took that as "House drink?" Only on the third time I got him, so I smiled and replied, "I haven't tried yet."
With the stupid smile still lingering on my face, I took a seat, pulled out my books and studiously perused them. Actually my plan for today was to do transcription. In English, that means that I still have two recordings of interviews that I need to transform from verbal to written words. I thought of going back home after sending the three ladies to the centre, but things like petrol, parking ticket and time made me reconsider. Hence the wait at the Curve. Mistake #4.
The books I brought had really good description, explanation and analysis of human developmental theories. I like! So good that I read them properly this time, with my hot chocolate. Pleasure #4. Actually I borrowed them from my uni library to write an assignment, which is due this coming Friday. I killed it off in about one day, but the books just got me hooked.
Occasionally I looked up from my book. Laughter and whispers rose and fell gently all around me. Some people were alone, others with friends or family. There was this melancholic-looking guy with his headphones on and an opened book in his lap, staring out of the windows. Following his line of sight, I could see the rain drizzling beyond the glass walls.
After I've had enough of Vygotsky and his theories, I wandered around the bookstore once more. The biography on Queen Elizabeth II was still very tempting, but when I took it into my hands, the feeling of buying it just vanished. Ah, some other time then!
About one-forty in the afternoon, my mum finally called me. She asked whether they should come down or I go and pick them up. Feeling that I should guide them in case they couldn't see their way, we agreed to meet at the "eye centre". Mistake #5.
(To be continued. See Part Three.)