Sunday, 4 November 2012

Nobody's

JUST came back from the Curve. I'm now so full of negativity.

This morning I accompanied my mum and two of her acquaintances to an "eye centre" for their check-up. Because they'd signed up for a comprehensive eye test and they wouldn't be able to drive after the test, I was asked to be their driver. I consented. Mistake #1.

I brought along some books and planned to study them somewhere. I dropped the three ladies at the eye centre, but didn't immediately leave. Mistake #2.

One of the staff there saw that I wore glasses and asked whether I wanted to do a check-up as well. I said no and turned away. She didn't leave me at that, hounding after me and handing me a form to fill up. One of my mum's acquaintances slightly pressured me to just do a free test. Seeing no harm in doing so, I accepted her advice. Mistake #3.

I went through the boring series of eye tests and intended to flee as soon as possible. A member of the staff explained to us with great patience and in detail things like cataract, laser eye surgery and other sorts of treatments. Money, money, money. My mum and another acquaintance decided to go through the comprehensive eye test, while I was persuaded to have mine done at a later date, within the next three months.

I left them waiting for their turn of comprehensive eye tests and asked mum to call me when they finished. Off I went to my refuge, the bookstore.

I browsed through the books listlessly, in the comfortable stillness and chillness. Nobody's son, nobody's brother, nobody's client, nobody's student. Free from obligations and duty, in that timeless space. Pleasure #1.

(To be continued. See Part Two.)

© Lumière
Maira Gall