Sunday, 4 November 2012

Inverted Loop

(From previous. See Parts One & Two.)

THE three ladies gave off a weird vibe when I found them at a corner booth in the centre. There were two professionally dressed women at the booth. Let's call them promoters (P). The three ladies indicated that I should take the vacant seat next to P #1. Mistake #6.

P #1 briefly marched me through fingerprints, genetics, personality and deviant behaviour. One of my mum's acquaintances looked at me intently, which I found uncomfortable. With my guard up and red alert on, I listened with half-interest. The following is a rough flow of our conversation:
P #1: What do you know about fingerprints?
Me: The basics, nothing much.
P #1: Do they change, or are they fixed?
Me: Hmmn. Largely they do not change, like about 90% of the time. Even if you have an accident, your fingerprints will still be the same.
P #1: So you're saying that they do not change at all?
Me: Maybe a little. I'm not sure. Your fingerprint before and after the accident should generally be the same. Maybe some part of it got lost?
P #1: Then do they have to scan fingerprints again, like for identity card (IC), if they have accident?
Me: I don't think you need that. Your fingerprints will be the same. The general features are still there.
P #1: Actually, fingerprints do not change at all. You said that we see fingerprints generally. No such thing. Everyone can be a criminal if you say that fingerprints can change and we see fingerprints generally. You'll need to re-scan your fingerprints for your IC.
I was absolutely, royally pissed off with her questions. How could she catch people like that? Playing tricks with the details. She didn't understand me at all and never bothered to clarify with me. Okay, maybe I don't like to be proven wrong, but still.

She made a movement, as if to grab my thumb to scan it with a handheld scanner. Oh no, you don't!
Me: Let me get this straight. If I scan, will you use the thumbprints for ...
Mum's acquaintance: Why ask so many questions?
P #1: No, it's fine. It'll have a bearing later.
Me: So, will you save it? The scans?
P #1: No we don't do that. We don't even take our client's IC or anything.
Satisfied, I let her scan my thumbs and index fingers. Mistake #7. They actually matched most of my mum's, in terms of whorls and their directions.
P #1: Hmmn, interesting. You have an inverted loop.
Me: What is that?
P #1: See here (points to laptop screen). Your whorls, they flow the other way 'round. 
Me: Which means?
P #1: You're unique. Let me link this to personalities. You can have lots of friends, but those who are close to you? They're few.
By this time, the three ladies were sitting closely like three birds on a tree branch and listening like nobody's business. Unique? You can say that everyone's unique. Fingerprints and personalities? Sorry, I need so much more evidence than these!

(To be continued. See Part Four.)
© Lumière
Maira Gall